DigiLocker is a key initiative under Digital India, the Government of India’s flagship program aimed at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy. Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus eliminating the use of physical documents. The DigiLocker website can be accessed at https://digitallocker.gov.in/.
- DigiLocker is a key initiative under Digital India, the Indian Government’s flagship program aimed at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.
- Digital Locker is a system to provide citizens with real-time access to dematerialised documents issued by various Government and Private Agencies.
- The Digital Locker shall provide citizens with a shareable private space on a public cloud and make all documents/certificates available on this cloud itself.
- This digital space can be utilized for storing personal documents such as university certificates, PAN cards, voter IDs, the URIs of the e-documents issued by various departments.
- The objective of the service is to decrease the use of physical documents and also to offer authenticity to e-documents.
- It shall also provide secure access to documents issued by the government.
- It also aims to deflate the expenses on the administrative front of the various governmental departments.
Digital Locker is one of the major initiatives under the Digital India Campaign of the Government of India and was released by the Electronics and Information Technology Department of the Indian Government.